Saturday, November 2, 2013

Family Literacy Month

Our Community Meeting on Friday kicked off our focus on Family Literacy Month.  Dr. Bates, Ms. Harrison, Ms. Barnett, Ms. Whyte, Ms. Long, and myself read aloud from the picture book, Wild About Books.  Students from each class recommended books for others to read.  Ms. Whyte's class sang a great song about reading books every day of the week.  Also, Ms. McMillan created a presentation in which she described parts of a book and the children had to guess which book it was.

To promote school unity, the faculty and I decided that it would be fun to read one picture book a month for the rest of the school year.  We are encouraging the students to talk about the books with their peers and their STARR buddies.  This month, the book is The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.

To encourage student reading, I will have a mailbox on my door in which students can write book recommendations to me and other students.  I am always happy to add books to my "Must Read" list!

Below are pictures of some of the students who recommended books during the meeting.  Happy Reading!













No comments:

Post a Comment